question-icon

What causes tilting feeling to the right and ringing in ears?

Posted on Sat, 30 May 2015
Question: What is the cause and what can I do for a feeling of tilting to the right and a ringing in the ears?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
PTA. I/A, Eardrum examination, Neurologist's check-up.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have had a recent cold get an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done to check for change sin middle ear pressures or fluid build-up in the middle ear that can cause the tinnitus and imbalance.

2. An ear drum examination and a Pure Tone Audiogram (PTA) will check for hearing loss that can also cause the tinnitus.

3. If these are normal (as per age), a Neurologist's opinion must be sought with test for imbalance. Also get an eye examination done.

4. The most common causes for ear related dizziness are BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) , Meniere's Disease and Vestibular Neuritis. Some intensity of tinnitus is normal as per age related hearing loss.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist