• question-icon

What causes tightness of the throat when diagnosed with GERD?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I started taking a health supplement, that has gamboge fruit, apple, kiwi, sweet potato fiber, lotus leaf, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and nopal. I have a mild allergy to apples, but not severe so I decided to go ahead and take them. Lately my throat has felt tight, I know this pill can make you very thirsty, but could it be my allergy causing this problem? Is it dangerous? I've never had this reaction to apples before, I usually get maybe a rash. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
GERD or allergy

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . the feeling of tight throats can be due to acid reflux ( GERD) which can cause pharyngitis and can be treated by a proton pump inhibitor as omeprazol
however , the sense of tight throats can also be caused by allergy that leads to swelling of the soft tissue of the pharynx . This can be dangerous if also cause swelling of laryngeal tissues and difficulty of breathing . in the meanwhile you can take an antihistaminic as citrizine once daily before going to bed but If this continues and was not resolved by the pal antihistaminic then I would recommend that you go to the hospital for a dexamethasone and an avil injection to aport the allergic reaction . I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Can I take Allegra? I don't have any trouble breathing, there's no tightness in my chest or anything, just in my throat. It felt really tight this morning, but now the feeling has gone away I'm don't know why since I haven't taken any medicine. Could dehydration cause tightness in the throat?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, yes you can take allerga instead. dehydration can cause throat tightness but this will go away once you are hydrated by drinking enough fluids. if you experience this feeling of throat tightness again then I would recommend that you discontinue taking this supplement. I hope you find this helpful .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman