question-icon

What causes tightness in upper abdomen right below ribs?

Posted on Fri, 25 Jul 2014
Question: hi, I have some tightness, especially after eating, in my upper stomach, right below my ribs. at first thought could be something related to a gallbladder issue but the discomfort is somewhat internal feeling, it is more external than internal. its almost a numbness or slight burning feeling. sometimes feels a bit of a muscle cramping type of feel but again, usually when i eat. happens after i eat but can also happen randomly at other times. i have put on some weight recently and and almost feels like my stomach in that area is a bit distended. I also feel tightness in my stomach after eating. thought at first it was when having a big meal but can happen after any size meal. even when having a snack, i feel the discomfort i mentioned above. thoughts?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Please provide all information to help you better.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

A few more information from you would help me in providing you with a better opinion:

1) Do you eat from outside specially fried and fast food ?
2) Does your job entails you lifting heavy weight ?
3) Do you consume any alcoholic beverages and do you smoke ?
4) How is your sleep in the night ?
5) How is your bowel habits ?
6) Please provide reports of any such investigations related to your symptoms.

Till then I would advise you to go for a proton pump inhibitor along with probiotic drug.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon