What causes tightness in the neck and fullness in the ear?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 15 May 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, a month ago I had a tightness in my neck on both sides around my thyroid. I could not feel any lump or swelling and attributed it to post nasal drip from allergies and recurrent sinus infections. I also had a fullness in my ears but no fever. I was on augmentin for 10 days. I finished the augmetin 2 weeks ago. I continue to have constant post nasal drip and ear fullness that comes and goes. Right now I have left ear fullness, mild ear pain with redness and mildly warm. I have a weird pressure around my temple to my ear. I also have tenderness right below my ear lobe and a tightness that runs from behind my ear down the side of my neck (Drainage?). During the day I will begin to feel better and then I can feel the symptoms returning which makes me feel tired and sick. Occasionally I get the same feeling on the right ear but not as bad. I can not palpate any swollen nodes in my neck. I have been flushing my sinuses and wonder if I pushed infection into my ears?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nasal allergy with Eustachian tube dysfunction...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms mentioned by you seems to be related to nasal allergy with Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) dysfunction.

According to your description, there doesn't seem to be any active infection of the sinuses at present. The symptoms are more of allergy related, hence, you would require a complete evaluation of the nose and sinuses.

Initial investigative protocol includes nasal endoscopy followed by CTscan of the paranasal sinuses.

Also, you would require steroid nasal spray with or without a course of oral steroids. Hence, consult an apt ENT specialist for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your query; revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 43 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I have been tested for allergies and have mild to moderate allergies to foods and outdoor grasses. I also had a ct last fall and was told I have some maxillary sinus disease and I could manage it or have surgery.
I have manged well with OTC meds.

This time my sickness seems different. When I feel my worst my ears are full, I have tingling on my lips and a lot more post nasal drip than usual. I have a foul smell in my nose but I do not have any discharges at this time. My throat is irritated and my tongue feels tired.
Can this all be allergy related?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rhino sinusitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back and updating regarding your previous issues.

1. Yes, you seem to be having allergic related issues. Post nasal drip, ear block and dryness in the throat goes in the favour of allergic rhino sinusitis.

2. Kindly avoid the OTC medicines, it can cause you more harm than making you better. Steroid nasal sprays (such as fluticasone or momentasone) are highly beneficial in these circumstances. A short course of oral steroids is also recommended.

3. Home remedies such as steam inhalation and saline nasal sprays could help you in recovering faster. Drink frequent sips of warm water, avoid coffee, chilled food and beverages, smoking and fizzy drinks.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon