What causes tightness and pain in chest with tightness in jaw?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 29 year old male. I am in good shape and health. I had 2 EKGs done this year, a physical and a lot of blood work. Everything was good.

I have had chest tightness/soreness for about 4-6 months. It is more of a dull ache feeling. I was still able to workout. My chest kind of makes a popping sound when I sneeze. I have also had jaw tightness on both sides and now periods of lightheadness/dizziness. I seem to get out of breathe quick too. My GP thinks it is stress because all the tests he did came back good.

Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This symptoms can be caused by stress indeed. However before such diagnosis, heart problems needs to be ruled out. Simple ECG is not enough to do that. You should consult cardiologist and have heart ultrasound, stress test, 24 hours heart ECG. Only after this tests cardiologist is able to tell if your heart is fine or not.
You should also have thyroid hormones checked as your symptoms along with hair loss can be caused by thyroid problems.
You should also avoid coffee and caffeinated drinks intake and start Magnesium supplementation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
So I should consult a cardiologist even though it appears my heart is fine? My hair has grown back. Blood tests showed that my thyroid was ok. Should I get more tests?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you should consult cardiologist. I know that your ECGs are fine. But ECG not always detects heart issues and you can not be sure that your heart is fine basing only on ECG.
If your thyroid tests were fine, no need to repeat this tests.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Ok I will go see one. What is your opinion on whats going on having never seen me before?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Its hard to tell exactly what is going on. However as you are young person, stress can be the main problem.