What causes tick bite like looking rash on face?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My 6 year old neice is in the hospital with a mysterious illness. 6 days of 103 fever, sore neck, rash around mouth,down neck, now full body&palms, size of dime
Vitals are normal, but she had low salt. Lethargic, aggitated and sometimes loses trach of thought. Ruled out meningitis with spinal tap. Rash looks like tick type bullet but she has them everywhere and they move around .
Answered by Dr. Arun 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
viral exanthematous rash

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
From the description it looks like a viral exanthematous rash which can happen in various viruses like arbovirus, influenza, etc.
It's better to test for arboviral illness ( mosquito or tick transmitted like lymes ).

Spinal tap being normal, major worry of meningitis is ruled out.
Do ensure that they test her liver and renal functions, platelet count and coagulation profile which can be affected.
I am sure the doctors will be treating her fully
Wishing her speedy recovery
Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T