What causes thumping sensation in the chest and throat?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi. i have been having a thump in chest and flutter in throat. i have results of both my holter monitor and echocardio ultra sound. i am very worried. any help would be grateful. thank you
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stress and anxiety most common cause of APC's

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have gone through the reports attached.

An atrial ectopic beat is a problem in the electrical system of the heart. It is an extra heartbeat caused by a signal to the upper chambers of the heart (the atria) from an abnormal electrical focus. It is also called an atrial premature beat or a premature atrial contraction.Most likely cause of atrial ectopics is anxiety,Atrial ectopics are usually not associated with any cardiac pathology.caffeine,alcohol,stress and fatigue or poor sleep are usually the most common cause of APCs.
2d echo is normal.
So i don't think there is any need to worry right now.Try to cut caffein,Don't smoke ,Exercise regularly and please specify if you have elevated levels of anxiety or stress.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 10 minutes later
i have anxiety and panic attacks but havnt had panic attacks for a while as it i feel them i take valium. i just worry will have a heart attack.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
No as your echo is normal,Don't worrry you are not going to have myocardial infarction.
However ask you physician to start you on low dose paroxetine along with valium tablets,Paroxetine is a SSRI,and will help you to relieve anxiety.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 3 minutes later
fantastic. thank you dr. will do
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good luck.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome,
Start paroxetine 12.5mg once daily with valium 2mg doses for 21 days(After consulting your primary physician) you will feel much better.
Follow up after 21 days!
Good luck.

Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 16 minutes later
thank you dr. but just one last time.....i shoyld worry about these beats or anything like that from the test results you seen?
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No you should not be worried about ectopics but start anti anxiety treatment

Detailed Answer:
Atrial ectopics are most of the time related to higher levels of anxiety. However if you want to be dead sure that cardiac pathology is not involved, you should go for a test called stress Thallium.
Stress thallium is highly sensitive to rule out coronary artery disease, almost 99%. sensitive. It's not at all needed but in case you want full satisfaction, you can go for it.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj