What causes thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Jan 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, Last week on 12/19 I had a stent put inside one of my arteries for a 90% blockage. I have been perscribed copidrogel 75 mg and aspirin 81 mg daily. This morning i noticed a bruise type formation on the skin. I seldom had headaches before. I now have them daily now. I have noticed a fast heart rate at times. I am concerned that I may be having some signs of Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura as one of the side effects of the plavix is TTP, How can I confirm if this is infact the case?
Is there a test to verify if I may be developing TTP from the Plavix that I am now taking?
Thnank you
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
CBC

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Regarding thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, yes there is a test to verify it and it's a simple routine test. A complete blood count (CBC) with a platelet count would evidence both the changes in thrombocyte as well as in red blood cells levels.

Some headache may happen in the first days after carotid artery stenting, so you shouldn't panic about that. It is due to the increase of blood flow in a area which previously didn't get enough blood due to the narrowing. So probably the test will come out alright.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 18 hours later
Thank you. I will get the test that you suggest above done.

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
I hope you'll feel better soon.