What causes thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura?

Dr. Matija Romic

Posted on Fri, 16 May 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: PLEASE HELP! I consulted a Dr earlier who told me I possibly could have thrombosis thrombocytopenic. I have since researched it and I read if this is suspected it is a medical emergency and if not treated immediately there is a death rate of 90% please someone answer this question soon I'm terrified
Answered by Dr. Matija Romic 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a first grade emergency,visit ER immediately

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for asking HCM,

I understand your concern since this diagnosis which is called thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura is a first emergency. There are two kinds of this disease, inherited and aquired. you have probably the aquired form. It's not clear what triggers inherited and acquired TTP, but some factors may play a role. These factors may include:
Some diseases and conditions, such as pregnancy, cancer, HIV, lupus, and infections.
Some medical procedures, such as surgery and blood and marrow stem cell transplant.
Some medicines, such as chemotherapy, ticlopidine, clopidogrel, cyclosporine A, and hormone therapy and estrogens
Quinine, which is a substance often found in tonic water and nutritional health products.

My suggestion is to visit the nearest emergeny room to get proper medication since this condition can be fatal or cause lasting damage, such as brain damage or a stroke, if it's not treated right away.
This condition usually occurs suddenly and lasts for days or weeks, but it can continue for months. Relapses (or flareups) can occur in up to 60 percent of people who have the acquired type.
Treatments include infusions of fresh frozen plasma and plasma exchange, also called plasmapheresis (PLAZ-ma-feh-RE-sis). These treatments have greatly improved the outlook of the disorder.

i hope you will listen to my advice and visit emergency room as soon as possible.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E