question-icon

What causes throbbing pain in vagina?

Posted on Thu, 9 Jul 2015
Question:

I have vaginal pain, awakened me in the middle of the night. no itching, no discharge, no urinary sx other than frequency. I checked my urine with a dipstick and only hemolyzed blood ( idiopathic I am told, chronic for 20 years or so). The pain is kind of throbbing. I am 47, menopausal. no pain with intercourse. married, monogamous. pelvic exam 2 years ago. no abnormalities,
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Atrophic vaginits,consult your Gynecologist.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM,

I can understand your concerns,

Most probably vaginal pain is due to dryness of vagina.It appears during menopause due to deficiency of estrogen hormone.This makes infection to set easily.

I would advice you to consult your Gynecologist for vaginal examination and further evaluation. You can start local estrogen cream if needed ,
under your Gynecologist guidance.

Hope this helps,
Feel free to ask further.

Take care,
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Nidhi Setia

OBGYN