• question-icon

What causes throbbing pain in the knees?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: What is it when you have a severe throbbing aching pain that flares up in your back of knee area?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A number of thing can cause this pain

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

I can very well understand your concern as pain in this region can be really troublesome. Here I will try to explain some important causes of pain behind the knee:

1. Bakers cyst, it's a kind of fluid filled swelling in the back of the knee joint, it causes throbbing pain with a sensation of locking of knee.

2. Arthritis, it's one of the important causes of knee pain with advancing age due to age related degeneration in the knee joint.

3. Aneurysms, as it's a highly vascular area so any swelling of blood vessel can also cause throbbing pain with tenderness here. It's more common in hypertensive and diabetic individuals

4. Posterior meniscal tear, it's a cartilaginous structure between femur and tibia. Injury here causes pain with. Sensation of locking or clicking of knee

5. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , it's a blood coagulation disorder in which there is swelling of veins over calf that causes radiating pain behind knee joint.

These are some common and important causes. The remedies which you mentioned that you have tried are ok but still if you haven't got any relief then it's time to personally consult your doctor for examination and the treatment accordingly as few tests like X-ray and probably a CT knee will be required for diagnosis.

I hope this information will answer you question. Feel free to ask back fir any more doubts or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist