What causes throbbing ears, soreness in the mouth, swelling in the temple with headaches?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 31 Oct 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Female, 69 yrs of age. Right side of face between eye and temple is swollen with red blotch on skin; swelling seems to be moving towards the ear. I have a slight, but dull headache, slight ear throbbing and mild soreness at the roof of my mouth. Health issues: SVT, Hypothyroidism, 2 Hip Prosthesis, Sleep Apnea (use cpap) . Medications: Metoprolol Succ ER - 1/2 of 25mg tablet, Snythroid .137, Vit D 5000.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Please see your doctor as soon as possible- a couple of possible diagnosis explained

Detailed Answer:

There are 2 main things that come to mind with the description you are doing on your symptoms.

1. Temporal arteritis- this is an inflammation of an artery that feeds the eye and if redness and pain is present in the temple area this is the first to be ruled out.

The reason for this is that if not diagnosed and not treated it might affect the vision in that eye.

In this case, the doctor will do a simple blood test called ERS and if it is close to 100 in a way chances are high that temporal arteritis is the diagnosis and high dose of steroids will be prescribed as the treatment for it.

Sometimes the doctor might start the treatment before he has the result and this is to prevent vision from being affected.

2. Skin infection in the area- our skin has bacteria that normally grow on it but sometimes they make the way in the skin and this causes infections like cellulitis or erisipella, both are similar and need quick treatment with antibiotics.

To conclude I would say that you need to see your doctor as soon as possible so he can examine you and diagnose you as if you have any of the 2 I mentioned you need treatment as soon as possible.

They are both diagnoses that respond very well to treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Zotaj Antoneta, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana