What causes throat pain and drooling post chemotherapy?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Question: Four year old girl started chemotherapy 3 weeks ago (for leukemia) and then a week ago was taken off it due to severe pain in the throat, swollen tonsils and mouth sores. The doctors put her on antibiotics - Zolferin, Zantac, and others. Within 2 days she started counting incessantly, pulling out her hair and using her hand to bat her ears. Not talking like normal although she responds when spoken to. She is also drooling uncontrollably. Are these side effects of chemotherapy or could this be a reaction to the antibiotic drugs, of which she was prescribed several? Have you ever encountered such behavior in a child on chemo?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
drug interaction.

Detailed Answer:

Since your niece is counting incessantly, pulling out her hair and using her hand to bat her ears and not talking like normal although she responds when spoken to and is drooling after she was put on antibiotics after infection caused by chemotherapy for leukemia she must be suffering from some kind of drug interaction.

Please mention the name of antibiotics and other medicines correctly with which she is being currently treated with to find out the cause.

Waiting for your reply.

DR De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 8 hours later
Here are the medications she is taking:

Chemo drugs:
Prednisone
L-Aspar
Vincristine.

Additional drugs:

Allopurinol 100mg po 10am,10pm.
Panadol 270mg po 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10am and 2am.
Hydrallazine 3.5 I'm (if B/P is greater than 110/71.
Ranitidine 9.05 mg IV 6am, 2pm, 10pm.
Chlorhexidine mouthwash .10mls at 6am, 12pm, 6pm.
Amlodipine 2.5 po 6am, 6pm.
Nystatin suspension 6mls (swish and swallow) 6am, 12pm, 6pm and 12am. Neuprogen 91 mlg. 6pm (injection in arm).
Zosyn 1.8s IV 6am, 12pm, 6pm, 12am.
Ventolin 0.5cc in 2.5cc N/S nebs 6am, 12pm, 6pm, 12am.
Diphenhydromine 7.5mg IV 10am, 10 pm
Answered by Dr. Monish De 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Replacing zosyn

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sometimes the antibiotic zosyn which contains piperacillin and tazobactam can cause confusion, feeling of throwing up , restlessness and certain involuntary movements which your niece is having.I would suggest u consult your doctor regarding changing your antibiotic to Meropenem .

DR De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju