• question-icon

What causes throat inflammation after taking Prednisone?

Posted on Mon, 16 Mar 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had laryngitis for about 5 days. I was put on Prednisone 40 mg once a day for 5 days. My voice though came and went. It was still there but now it's more raspy and kinda hoarse. No sore throat, did have a minor fever but nothing is seeming to be working to really let my voice get back to normal. I have drank tons of water, hot water with lemon and apple cider vinegar but it just seems temporary. My throat's inflammation has gone down (still a bit red but not nearly as bad). I am a broadcaster and I desperately need my voice back! I hate having to constantly go back to the doc. Any advice? It almost seems like Mucus is on top of my vocal cords or something which produces the raspiness. This has been going on about two weeks but has improved somewhat but not where it needs to be.
Answered by Dr. Shama 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Laryngitis takes 1-2 weeks for recovery.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Health care Magic.

I am Dr. Shama and I will be answering your question.

I reviewed your history and I can understand your concern.
Laryngitis usually takes 1-2 weeks for complete recovery. The voice will definitely become clear and no need to be worried about this.
You need to continue salt water gargling and this will help in speedy recovery.
But along with this voice rest is equally important.

Since you are complaining of mucus like feeling in the throat, you can use decongestants and mucolytic drugs for symptomatic relief.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Please do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Shama 24 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX

I don't think it's laryngitis anymore. I think it's just a raspy, hoarse voice because with laryngitis, I believe, your voice is pretty much shot. I live in XXXXXXX and am more than a mile above sea level so it is very dry. I constantly have a humidifier going. It seems though when I wake up in the morning, The mucus is on top of my vocal cords and takes a good bit of hacking to get it out. I had my doctor check my lungs and they were very clear. Do you recommend something like mucinex or Nyquil to alleviate this? This seems to be the longest time I have had a hoarse voice. Could it be vocal nodules? Or maybe even cancer? Should I see an ENT? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Shama 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms does not indicate vocal nodule or cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for the follow up question.

These symptoms are unlikley to be vocal nodules or cancer.
The use of mucolytic drugs like mucinex will be helpful in your case.

Hence no need to be worried about cancer of the throat. I would suggest ENT examination to rule out chronic laryngitis if the symptoms does not resolve by another 1-2 weeks.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you
Dr. Shama