What causes thin, grainy and soft stool?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: my stool is soft , thin and grainy---i go often in the evening---6+ times close together, light in color.also go often. no pain, no blood---mushy. what's going on?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:
1. You are reporting to have had diarrhea for more than 6 times per day.
2.To my opinion your symptoms may be related with:
- gastrointestinal infection probably C.difficile infection.
- malabsorbtion
- IBS
3. This is why I suggest to do:
- fecal culture test
- fecal malabsorbtion test
It is important to know if you have any chronic disease and chronic treatment like diabetes, HTC etc.
In some cases diabetes can mimic your symptoms.
Blood work and sugar level should be checked in such situation.
Meantime I suggest to use probiotics and antispasmodic drugs .

Hope it was helpful to you!
Dr.Klerida

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad