What causes thickening of the bladder wall while having UTI?

Posted on Tue, 8 Nov 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: on going UTI (or so the dr. thought) Had a catscan and it revealed a thickening of the bladder. Bacteria and blood in urine sample. What causes "thickening" of the bladder?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Common causes include infection or neurological conditions

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

The urinary bladder is a bag like structure in which the urine is temporarily stored before being let out though the urethra.

The urinary bladder has a wall made of smooth muscles. When empty the bladder contracts and when distended it expands.

In a normal person the urinary bladder wall measures less than 3 mm when fully distended with urine. If the urinary bladder wall measures more than 3 mm throughout when distended then it is increased and this can happen in cystitis which is an infection of the urinary bladder wall, and in neurological conditions of the bladder.

There are many types of infection like acute and chronic infections leading to increased bladder wall thickness. In neurological conditions, the bladder is not emptied for long durations and there can be infection and increased urinary bladder wall thickness.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist