What causes thick vaginal discharge?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have a thick clumpy white vaginal discharge. There is no smell, I have had it for years but recently it has become worse. It is very stringy and I avoid oral set because it is so off putting.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. According to your information, you are mostly suffering from Vaginal Yeast Infection (chronically). I would suggest to undergo one CULTURE and DRUG SENSITIVITY TEST of the discharge with blood sugar (PPBS) and differential count of WBC to confirm the diagnosis Next thing, you have to ELIMINATE or CORRECT some additional predisposing factors like mental stress, lack of sleep, poor eating habits, hormonal imbalance, certain medicines (like hormone pills, antibiotics, steroids etc), weak immune system, Cervicitis, poor genital hygiene etc. To summarize, you have to modify all these things to get effective result. You can consult with your GYNECOLOGIST for proper guidance. TREATMENT: 1) Vaginal suppository or anti-fungal vaginal tab like CANDID CL can be used for 3 to 5 days. Supportive oral antibiotic can be given according to test report. 2) Use vaginal moisturizer cream with RepHresh pH gel or VAGISIL cream to avoid repeated infection and maintain vaginal pH. It can be used prior to intimation each time and maintain genital hygiene before & after sex. 3) Wear only clean and cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Take sound sleep adequately. 4) Take healthy diet as you have mentioned with anti oxidant (like Vitamin -E or C, Selenium, Zinc, Lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water or juice for better systemic circulation. You must avoid salty, sugary or fatty foods. 5) Avoid chemical cosmetics or soaps or scented bath products around genital area. Don't practice unprotected sex till the problem is completely resolved. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326