What causes thick mucus in nose of child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 30 Jan 2015 in Child Health
Question: my three year old sounds like he has mucus stuck in his nose but nothing comes out. hr knows how go blow his nose and you really hear it when he sleeps? any idea whay is wrong? is is on three different allergy meds.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thick mucus likely due to allergic reaction to viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through carefully. When the normal respiratory secretions become thick, it can no longer move out on its own and requires to be coughed out. When it becomes even more thick, it clogs the pathways and can no longer be blown out even with force as the case of your child. The clogging can cause blocked nose and breathing difficulties especially during sleep.

Give the child steam inhalation at least thrice a day. Just sit the child on your lap and place a steam source before you. The water vapour will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. It will reach deep into the airways and help in diluting the cough/mucus. This will gradually ease the situation. Avoid cough suppression medication, if you are giving it, as it will make the mucus thicker. You may try giving expectorants however.

Hope that helps.

If you found my answer helpful, please leave a positive review and a 5 star rating.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E