• question-icon

What causes the smell of food to make one nauseous?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My wife has not eaten in 4 days. She is nauseous. Smell of food is nauseating. When she throws up ( often )its a yellow brownish color. Has been feeling like this for 3-4 weeks. Coughs a lot. I am concerned. What is it ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
She should go to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Reading thru this, it looks like she has perhaps seen her doctor who scheduled tests that won't happen for awhile? I don't think she should wait. I suggest you take her to the ER if this has been going on for a month and worse in the past 4 days. Also I am concerned that her vomitus has some brown to it as this could indicate blood. Blood that has encountered the stomach's acid can look like coffee grounds. A small amount of blood can just look brown. The yellow color is most likely liver bile because she has no food in her stomach. She should be seen now rather than wait a couple of weeks. Please make sure to tell the ER doctor that she's been ill 3-4 weeks and now worsening symptoms x 4 days.

I am not sure about the coughing - she might have a respiratory infection, or she is coughing because of small amounts of vomit coming up.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh