What causes the presence of pus cells in urine?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My son having urine infection of pus cells 25 30 hpf before antibiotic & antibiotic started through iv past 4 days .today urine routine test done result plenty of pus cells what do
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
After present Antibiotic course, do urine culture and a scan.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to HCM.
Your concern is understandable. As an Urologist, let me tell you not to worry.
As Urologists, we rely on the urine culture report, more than urine routine test.
After present course of antibiotic treatment is over, wait for two more days, and get urine routine and culture tested. Also, check his kidney function blood test, with an ultra sound scan of abdomen done. Ensure he drinks enough liquids daily.
See your doctor with the reports. Feel free to contact me anytime.
Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 36 minutes later
Sir my son is pre term of 2 months of 2.1 kg & urine culture done 3 times in the week before antibiotic but now after antibiotic culture not done, only urine test done result plenty of pus cells why sir? .report of ultrasound and discharge summary attached.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pus cells are from both kidneys and bladder.

Detailed Answer:
Well, after going through the Discharge summary and the scan report, I can give you a proper idea of the origin of pus cells.
As your doctor must have told you, the scan shows a significant block of the two kidneys, the right with a cause at the level of kidney and left, at a level at level of where the kidney tube joins the bladder.
After the antibiotic course is over, a repeat scan is planned to evaluate the kidney function on each side.The blocks are from birth, not acquired after that.
There is some debris seen in the bladder, due to the infection.
As infective debris is seen in both kidneys and bladder, now you know where the pus cells are coming from.
Hope your doubt is cleared. Feel free to contact me anytime.
Don't worry. With time, your son should recover.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist