question-icon

What causes the formation of the blood clot at the base of external hemorrhoid?

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018
Question: I have an external hemorrhoid, on top of it there is a long yelowish spot. At the base of the hemorrhoid there is a little puddle of blood. What is this and how can I treat it. I use hydrocortisone 2.5% cream.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Proper intervention is required.

Detailed Answer:

You seem to be having thrombosed hemorrhoid in which blood clots have started forming inside.

I would suggest you go for hemorrhoidectomy, an operation in which hemorrhoids would be removed permanently.

Calcium dobesilate treatment could be tried for a month. This may help in about 70% of cases.

I hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Ramesh Kumar,
Gastroenterologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist