• question-icon

What causes the feeling of a lump in the throat?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I can feel a lump in my throat since last 6-7 months. If the gulp or take my chin down i can feel it. I am worried and suspecting some carcinogenic stuff down there. What should be the series of checkup that I need to perform?
Is it likely that it carcinogenic?
I am a smoker since last 8 years, usually smoke 10-12 cigarettes a day.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cancer is uncommon in your age

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Your smoking history does put you at risk of cancer, though cancer is rare in your age group. It is more likely to be swollen lymph node or any other swelling.

An ENT specialist will be easily able to confirm diagnosis by examination with their instruments. They may advise further tests like CT scan of the neck, endoscopy etc after examination.

Smoking cessation will have significant effect, therefore I recommend that you stop smoking right now.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Vaishalee Punj