What causes terrible panic attack post intake of Oxycodone, Xanax and Ativan?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having a terrible panic attack because 6 and a half hours ago I took 40mg of Oxycodone and just 1 hour ago I took 1mg of Xanax and 1mg of Ativan I also took 60mg of Cymbalta 8 hours ago. I am so scared that I am going to overdose! please help me!
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably not unsafe...

Detailed Answer:

these drugs can be used together although the likelihood of adverse effects is higher than if used individually. The only thing that concerns me is the high (?) dose of oxycodone. If you've never used oxycodone before this is high... If you've used oxycodone for a while then 40mg can be a reasonable dosage. 1mg of xanax and 1mg of ativan are not high either whether you've used them in the past or not. Cymbalta can be used safely at 60mg for most patients.

All the aforementioned drugs may induce sleep and generally a reduction in central nervous system functions. The most concerning side effect is a low drive for respiratory functions. A normal respiratory rate (10-14 per minute) and no shortness of breath means that you're OK for the time being. If the numbers get worse or you too sleepy then you may have to visit the ER just to be sure nothing's wrong.

Avoid taking any more central nervous system suppressants like similar drugs or alcohol!

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!