What causes terrible facial tics in elderly?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm 72 and have terrible facial tics. I'm retired and am mostly stress free. But by the end of the day I am so tired from all the facial movement. I sniff all day and click my teeth together along with face movements. Several years ago I had some neurological tests. Dr couldn't give me any help other than meds that would make me drowsy and was used for patients with epilepsy I am so weary of this!
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neuroleptic medicines/Long term control is the goal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

If you would have presented to me as an outpatient with this medical history,I would have told you that regarding the management of 'Tics',one thing that should be clearly understood by the patient is that 'Tics have no cure,thay can only be controlled'.
So,the goal of the management is not a quick relief but long term control.To achieve long term control,no drug is perfect but various drugs are known to have partial roles among which antipsychotics,antidepressants,benzodiazepines,antiepileptics,botulinum toxin and some other class of drugs are mentioned.

However,various studies have shown that Neuroleptics or antipsychotics in lower dose(as compared to when they are given for psychosis treatment) are found to of significant benefit in 60-80% of the patients.
Moreover,sedation or drowsiness should not be a major problem,in doses they are taken for Tics.
Please discuss with your neurologist to give you a trial of neuroleptics like haloperidol or olanzapine.

Also,please consult a psychistrist for behavioural therapy,as that will be of potential help too.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to answer else,please close the thread-rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar