What causes tenderness in hand with tingling in palm and fingers?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I thought my hand fell asleep hours ago ( leaning on it). That was hours ago. My pinky finger and ring finger now feel, numb, as does that part of my palm. I also have slight pain through my arm...left side. I am worried. Mom and her father died of heart attacks. I am 47 years old.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are related to an ulnar nerve compression.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to a compression of the ulnar nerve in the ulnary groove, in the elbow.

You should know that the ulnar nerve is especially vulnerable to compression at the elbow because it must travel through a narrow space with very little soft tissue to protect it.

There is nothing to worry about any heart attack.

Your symptoms will go away spontaneously. You just need to be patient.

This is a very common disorder.

If this phenomena becomes very frequent, I would recommend consulting with a neurologist for a careful physical examination and perform nerve conduction studies (electroneurography) to exclude possible ulnar nerve entrapment, which could need a specific therapy (surgical or non surgical, depending on the test results).

Meanwhile I would recommend keeping your arm stretch for some minutes. Painkillers (acetaminophen or ibuprofen) would also be useful for the pain.

Some tips to prevent this situation from repeating would be :

-Avoid activities that require you to keep your arm bent for long periods of time.
-Avoid leaning on your elbow or putting pressure on the inside of your arm.
-Keep your elbow straight at night when you are sleeping.
-If you use a computer frequently, make sure that your chair is not too low. Do not rest your elbow on the armrest.

A brace or split to wear at night to keep your elbow in a straight position, i usually used in cases of repeated symptoms during sleep.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions, whenever you need!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri