What causes tenderness in abdomen on left side?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: For the last few days the left side if my abdomen has felt really sensitive and tender to touch. It feels like its just the skin however i have no rash st all?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sensory nerve problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/25 - few days - skin is sensitive and tender- no rash in the left side of the abdomen.

You have so well put this that the most probable diagnosis can be guessed as follow:
- Herpes, sometimes take s 3 to 5 days for the rash to appear.
- There can be a pinched sensory nerve that carried sensory signals from this are to the spine.

I would advise you to consult your Doctor to see if there is a development of rash from back to abdomen and to evaluate you clinically with Neurological examination to find the cause and if required yo may need MRI of the thoraco-lumbar spine and an opinion of a Neurologist.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication; and give feedback about the progress, the findings and the reports.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 38 minutes later
Thank you for your response. This area is tender to push down on and is agrovated by my clothes. It seems to have moved around from the side of my ribs to the front of my torso over the last few days. Is there any thing over the counter i can use to help this please as it is extremely uncomfortable. I have also had a slight feeling of sickness as well .
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen if it suits.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Noted your additional history and goes along the probable diagnosis that we discussed. In such condition Ibuprofen (if OTC in your area) may help, but ultimately will need prescription based medication for which you must see the Doctor ASAP.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 37 minutes later
I spoke with my doctor and the suspected early stages of shingles as there is no rash present yet. They have advised to leave it a few days and call back if it continues to hurt, whether or not a rash develops. They advised that if paracetamol doesnt help then not to take anything as it is viral and cant be treated. Does this sound like an accurate Diagnosis based on what i have told you ? The pain is hard to describe, starting on the side of my torso and now on my stomach. It feels like it is maybe just on or below the skin but the skin is tender and sore to touch. There is a pain in my stomach too, feels likena stomach ache at times. Not really sure how to explain it .
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shingles is herpes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
This is repetition of the things we just discussed.
Keep an eye and consult you Doctor in person.
Shingles is Herpes Zoster.
You can at least get the prescription based painkillers as you have pain.
This is an accurate diagnosis based on the symptoms that you have provided.