What causes tenderness and swelling on the calf?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: what does a tender swollen place on the side of your calf (outer) mean? it is not a bruise.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give details and post actual photographs if possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/73 - wants to know about a tender swollen place on the side of your outer calf that is not a bruise...
May I please know a few details?
- Since when is the swelling present?
- What is the color, local temperature, pain?
- Does the swelling increase on walking or making the calf to act like standing on toes? Or remains same?
- What is the size?
- Any other history?

Please give these details and if possible post the clear and focused photos as they help for on-the spot diagnosis.

I was just considering the following possibilities:
- Sebaceous cyst/lipoma as one of the commonest to occur. Cyst can get infected to become tender.
- Occasional herniation of muscle

Awaiting for your feedback so that we can discuss further.