question-icon

What causes tenderness and soreness in the tongue, inner lips and throat?

Posted on Wed, 27 Jul 2016
Question: My tongue and inner lips are tender but there is not a visual sore. My throat is also very sore. This has been going on for two weeks.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Possible "silent" acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Without seeing the appearance of your mouth and throat I can't say for sure. But acid reflux, even if it is "silent" and not felt as acid coming up or heart burn, can cause the mouth and throat to be sore or have a burning feeling.

A virus can do this too, but usually there are some obvious vesicles.

Yeast (thrush, Candida) can make the mouth sore but usually there are white patches and redness.

So without anything visual going on, consider the possibility of it being due to acid. You can tray Zantac 150 mg and see if it helps. Also, no acidic, citrus, tomato foods until its sorted out, and avoid eating within 2-3 hours before going to bed.

Sorry I can't say specifically what is going on, but this information can give you somewhere to start.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh