• question-icon

What causes tenderness and abdominal bloating along with rectal bleeding?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: There is a lot of bright red blood in toilet after I had bm tonight. When I wiped bottom was very tender and seemed bloated. This has happened before. Then it goes away for awhile then out of the blue it happens again.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be anal fissure or hemorrhoid.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Bright red blood in stool is called hematochezia. It means the bleeding is at or just above the anus. It is a common symptom and usually turns out to be a tear of the anus i.e anal fissure especially if patient is having history of constipation,or it can be a rectal bleed or hemorrhoids or diverticulitis.
You should visit a general surgeon for physical examination of anal canal and rectum by Proctoscope.If required colonoscopy could be done by gastroenterologist to find the source of bleed.

As its recurrent in your case i would suggest you to visit a general surgeon and get yourself examined.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist