• question-icon

What causes tender lumps in the back of ear?

Posted on Fri, 19 Dec 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hey i have what feels like two lumps in the back of my ear which aren't really painful and just hurts a little with pressure applied on it. i also have one on the back of my neck and occasionally have earaches and i was wondering do the two have something in common and what could it be
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lumps are likely to be enlarged nodes.

Detailed Answer:

Lumps are likely to be enlarged nodes, due to ear infections. Such nodes are common with infection. Once the infections clears off the nodes come back to there normal size.

Ideal step would be to see ENT specialist to get the infection cleared off. Such chronic infections can harm your ear structures in long term, so need specialist care.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
what are causes of ear infections
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacteria cause infections

Detailed Answer:

Low immunity, blocked eustachian tube, cold weather, blowing nose heavily , sinusitis, blocked nose , deviated nasal septum, Ac environment, swimming and ear picking are common cause of ear infections.
Dr. Sudhir