What causes tender lump on foot?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: I have an 11 year old daughter who is an established track runner. She has a bump about the size of a quarter on outside of left foot. It is tender to touch and hard. Wondering if it could be a fracture?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Only X-rays are confirmatory.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query about your daughter, 11 and an established track runner.has the bump about the size of a quarter on the outside of her left foot - tender - hard - wondering if it could be a fracture.

Please give additional information:
Is she still practicing/running?
Since when have you noticed this?
Does she have pain wan standing, walking, running, for that matter on any movement?
Please mention the exact site and/or attach marked photographs for me to understand the exact location.
Any history of twisting injury recently or in the past?
I hope the running shoes are not rubbing against the area affected.
Any X-ray or so?

The characters of the recent fracture are:
Swelling
Redness of the skin, ecchymosis or bruise like appearance.
Pain and tenderness even on slight movement
Loss of full function due to pain or deformity

If the fracture is old, say more than 7-10 days, the character would be hard tender swelling due to formation of a callus.

Apart from all the discussion, the only confirmatory test is X-ray of the area in two views.

I hope this answer helps you, please give me the feedback about the questions asked and also give back after the X-rays are done with.