question-icon

What causes tender and slightly itchy left nipple?

Posted on Sat, 23 May 2015
Question: oh, god this is so weird.....tender, slightly itchy left nipple.....and slightly tender left breast
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Can be due to eczema.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The tender and slightly itchy left nipple can be due to hormonal changes or due to eczema of nipple. Due to constant itching and scratching, the skin can become inflamed.
Other possibilities include a reaction to a new material, an allergy to some detergent and the jog bra syndrome. The latter causes the nipples to dry and the whole itch-scratch cycle starts again.

The following measures will help:
a. Only wear cotton innerwear
b. You can apply Nipcare cream immediately over the area after cleansing it properly with warm water and savlon.
c. Also use Benadryl syrup 2 tsp twice daily for 5 days to stop the itching.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN