What causes tender and painful bumps around vaginal area?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I'm not sure what is wrong with me.

I have very tender and painful bumps around my vagina and labia. The tenderness of the skin goes all the way back to my rectum. It hurts to walk, sit, and urinate. Especially to urinate. There are about 6-7 bumps, they're red, no head on them, and nothing inside of them (that I have been able to find/see). The area is not swollen or red around the bumps.

I'm sexually active, but have been with my boyfriend (and only him) for about 8 months and nothing similar has happened before.

I did shave the area about 6 days ago. I noticed the symptoms 2 days afterwards and they have gotten worse I feel.

I'm worried that I have an std. Do you have any recommendations for relief until I can get to a doctors office (4 days from now)?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
antibiotics may be beneficial

Detailed Answer:
This may be std, or more possible multiple foliculitis, or local subcutaneous skin infections,called abscesses. It is hard to know exact diagnosis without std testing. If there is significant pain and redness then antibiotics (amoxicilin or clindamicin) should be started. YOu should apply cold compresses and keep are clean and dry. Take nonsteroid painkillers. if there is no improvement in 24 hours,you should see doctor. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon