What causes tender and black pinky toe?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My pinkie toe on my left foot is very tender,it's red and the nail looks black , I did not bang it into any objects, and it is painful to walk what's going on?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be inflammatory in nature. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. According to your description , pain over your pinky toe seems to be inflammatory in nature. I advice you to give rest to the part affected, do icing over affected area take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of foot and rule out any infective cause. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care