What causes swooshing sound in right ear?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I hear a swhooshing sound in my right ear that corresponds with the beating of my heart. I am 58 years old, 5'5, weight 130, I am physically active (including skiing, running 1/2 marathons). My averarge blood pressure is 110 (or less) over 75 or less. I've looked this up and it looks like it could have something to do with a blockage in my carotid artery. OR, could it be caused by an ear infection?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following causes...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the health situation you are in.

The swhoosing sound in your right ear might be related to either ear and cardio-vascular issues. It is necessary to run further examinations to determine the right cause:
- ENT examination to exclude tinnitus
- cardiac echo and Doppler ultrasound of the blood vessels of the neck
- blood pressure and rhythm Holter monitoring to catch probable changes in blood pressure/rhythm

Depending on the tests results, specific treatment will be prescribed.

Dr.Benard
If anything unclear, do not hesitate to write me back!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D