What causes swollen urethra and stomach pain in a child?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hi, my 12 year old daughter has a swollen urethra and stomach pain, but she tested negative for a urinary tract infection twice.

Of special note, she often washes her hair in the bathtub and then sits in the shampoo water afterwards. Recently, she has been doing this often.

The problem started off and on 10 days ago and seemed to go away after the first negative UTI test. Now that we are away from home, it has worsened -- mainly causing a problem in the afternoon. In the last few days, she has had the urge to void, but nothing happens.

We are on vacation and can only get this thoroughly checked out when we are home on August 19th. What can we do until we get home? Should we ask a doctor for antibiotics? If so, what kind? Or is there an over the counter medicine we can try? We are moving around, but currently in XXXXXXX NC.

Thanks very much for your help!
Best regards,
XXXX

Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Urethritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your daughter who is 12years old has swollen urethra and has urgency, pain in abdomen.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Have you done her urine culture and sensitivity.test and if so what was the report?

Since she has habit of sitting in bath tub with shampoo for a long time possibility of allergic infection of Urethra (Urethritis) can not be ruled out.

Since you are out on vacation tour you can treat her with antibiotics like Azithromycin ,urine alkaliser and topical antibiotic cream like Soframycin or ointment like Neosporin which are available over the counter. .

Once you are back home please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine Culture
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and pelvis.
3) Swab test of urethral discharge.

Refrain her from sitting in bath tub in water that contains any chemical or shampoo.

Ensure she drinks more water.To keep her urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.