What causes swollen tonsils and polyp on tonsils?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 24 Jun 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi I really need advice I have had swollen tonsils for 4 months 4 lots of antibiotics then last lot did bring down tonsils but not the left one as there is a polyp on it, I will be having a operation to remove the polyp but not the tonsils I am so worried....
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome ot hCM

Detailed Answer:
Yes, of course that polyp can be on tonsilles and this is not uncommon. it usually develops due to frequent tonsile and throat infections and this is in 99% cases benign so you dont have to be worried about it. If there is no sign of tonsile pathology then only polyp can be removed and this is usual protocol. If there are some tonsile changes then whole tonsile should be removed. In every case, this is simple procedure as any tonsilectomy. WIsh you good health. Regards