What causes swollen tongue,sore mouth and cough?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a swollen tongue sore mouth n cough
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
acute glosso stomatitis, need more info for cough.

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion, you might be having inflammation of the tongue and buccal mucosa causing soreness.
Causes can be stress, auto immune disease, vitamin deficiency, viral fevers etc.

If I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed triamicilone ointment for local application + anti inflammatory like steroids and paracetamol medicines for 5 days + multivitamin tablet for 1 month.

I need more information to evaluate cough.
1. Duration of cough.
2. Diurnal variation.
3. Dry or productive.
4. It is associated with fever, breathing difficulty, wheeze.

Please answer the question, so that I can help you better .
Hope my answers have helped you.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 14 minutes later
Had the cough for 6 weeks, finished antibiotics 10 days ago

Production varies as does breathlessness, depends what I'm doing. Temperature up and down but ok.

Got a problem with swallowing, a bit.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
allergic cough. Consult chest physician.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your follow up query.
Cough for 6 weeks with occasional breathlessness and on and if cough needs evalution.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have advised for blood work, chest xray, sputum analysis to detect the cause for cough.
Depending on the report, I would have treated you with antibiotics if there is infection, antihistamines + mucolytics combination drugs in cases of lung allergy. Steroids and bronchodilator drugs in case of severe breathlessness.
Since you have finished one course of antibiotics, I would suggest you to take Emperical treatment with antihistamines tablet+mucolytics combination drugs twice for 2 weeks.
Hope my answers have helped you.
Pleased to help you further. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T