What causes swollen tongue after wearing retainer?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: I am in an Essix retainer following two months of wire braces to align one tooth on the bottom jaw. I only had braces on the bottom teeth. My tooth came into alignment very rapidly, it seems to me, but my bottom teeth look very straight now. The problem I'm having now is one day after getting my retainer and wearing it 24/7 one side of my tongue is a little swollen and very sore. Is there such a thing as an allergic reaction to my bottom retainer?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems more to be tongue injury..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

As per your complain if after wearing the retainer if you have got swelling in tongue on any one side with soreness it is not necessarily allergic reaction and there is a possibility that there has been some traumatic injury to the tongue like caused by some sharp areas over the retainer or caused by tongue bite..
Beginning of a Canker Sore can also represent as Inflammation and swelling which later on erupt into ulcers..

Causing allergic reaction to the material used for retainer is a very rare finding but cannot be ignored..

Nothing to worry, continue doing warm saline gargles atleast 3 to 4 times a day.
Take anti-inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen..
Gargle with a numbing mouthwash containing Lignocaine for pain relief..
Take a multivitamin tablet for 15 days..
If the tongue is getting injured by any sharp areas over the retainer get it corrected by your treating Orthodontist..

If still it does not get improved in a week you need to get evaluated for allergic reaction..

Any further questions are welcome..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D