What causes swollen tender breasts?
Your symptoms are probably due to premenstrual syndrome.
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
There are several reasons for breast pain and tenderness.
From your notes, it appears that your breast pain is most likely due to premenstrual syndrome (PMS). I am saying this considering your age and because the pain you have is cyclical. Does this pain decrease with the beginning of your periods? If so then it all the more supports the diagnosis of PMS. The exact cause of PMS is not known. But changing hormone levels during a woman’s menstrual cycle can cause this. Severe form of PMS can also cause depression and mood swings. Since when are you taking the antidepressants?
The second reason for tender painful breast in your case could be fibrocystic breasts. Now reading this new phrase don’t start thinking of cancer. This is not a disease also. Some women normally have lumpy (small nodules) gland tissue which is called as fibrocystic breast. This can cause pain and tenderness.
The first thought you might have had with this breast pain could be breast cancer. Please note that breast pain is NOT a common symptom of breast cancer. Have you palpated your breasts? Did you feel any lump? Is there any family history of breast /ovarian/colon cancer? If your answer is yes then I would be worried about breast cancer. To put your mind at ease I advise you to have your breasts examined by surgeon/Gynecologist/GP. I am confident that the breast examination will be normal.
Try doing these simple things:
-Wear well supported sports bra even while sleeping.
-Cut down on alcohol, caffeine and fats in your diet
-Use heating pad or warm water bottle
-Take vitamin E capsules
-If you are doing heavy weight lifting exercises, stop doing it. Moderate exercise is good for you.
-Try doing yoga to relax your mind and body.
-Take pain killers like Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily after food and see.
- Discuss with your doctor about using Evening Primrose oil.
I hope this helps.
If you have any further queries, do write to me. i will be happy to answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of tender swollen breasts
- What causes a swollen meatus
- What causes feverish symptoms with swollen breast
- What causes tenderness and swollen breasts after last periods
- Causes of swollen breasts
- Std that causes swollen breasts
- What causes a swollen frenulum
- What is causing swollen tender breasts
- Causes of swollen and tender uterus
- What causes a swollen chin
- What causes cramps and menstruation once in sex months?
- What causes bleeding after sexual intercourse?
- How to confirm date of conception?
- Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?
- Is it safe to start antibiotics before the labour starts?
- What causes early period after having Postinor-2?
- Can TSH test be done after breakfast?
- suggest treatment for symptoms of prolapse of vaginal wall or uterus
- What causes upper abdominal pain during pregnancy?
- Does prolactin level in my blood report indicate pregnancy?