• question-icon

What causes swollen red rashes on the body?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello doctor

im 28 years old. i suffered from urtecaria 2 years back. where sudden rashes would apear on my skin as if something has bitten. the skin becomes reddish and swollen. i consulted doctor and she had advised me to take anti allergy tablet. and on taking them the rashes would not come but once stopped it appeares again. i conceived and these rashes stopped. but now my baby is 6 months old and rashes started appearing again.

please advise.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exclude causes of urticaria, go for certain tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
According to your complaints you are having urticaria which is an allergic reaction mostly to food items, drugs, infections, thyroid disorders and in one third cases it occurs without any cause.
Since you are having a long history of urticaria I would recommend you to go for certain tests to find out the cause of rashes.
The tests are complete blood count, thyroid function tests, anti TPO levels. serum IgE levels, absolute eosinophil count, routine urine examination and stool examination for ova and cysts.
Meanwhile you take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg twice daily.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist