What causes swollen painful line between labia minora and clitoris?

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Swollen painful line between labia minora and clitorus started a couple days ago as a small lump that after sex drained a little pus. Now it has turned into a long "line" that stops before the urethra is very painful throbbing and Deep red in color. What could this be? Do I need to see a doctor ASAP or is there something at home I can do? No open soars or blisters in the area. Not herpes out break.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I believe the area is infected and you need a doctor's examintaion

Detailed Answer:
Hello and I hope I can help you today.

I reviewed your medical history and I will do my best to answer your question with the limitations of my not being able to examine you directly.

The "line" you see in the middle of the area likely is a place where your skin has split, and if you have seen pus draining from the area, it is likely infected.

What caused your skin to split I am not sure but if it was after sexual activity you could have gotten torn that way.

In any case, you need antibiotics treatment for the area. If you can purchase an antibiotic ointment (not cream it will burn) apply it to the area multiple times throughout the day and keep the area clean.

If the redness and pain get worse after 24 hours on the antibiotic ointment you really should see a GYN because you may need oral antibiotics, and they may be able to confirm your diagnosis of they can see the area.

I know you have herpes and you said that tibia not an outbreak, but some outbreaks can cause splits or cuts in the skin rather than sores. Just in case, take 1000 mg of your Valtrex twice daily for three days. It may help.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today and that advice was helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Best wishes and I sincerely hope you feel better, Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar