What causes swollen numb wrist after an injury?

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Working a search & rescue today and fell on slippery rocks. Slammed my right hand/wrist hard on a large XXXXXXX . First my wrist went numb then a huge swollen area popped out with lots of bruising on inside wrist. Hard time bending my wrist now. I'm on 325mg aspirin daily. Do I need to see dr or just ice and wrap it?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

From your history it seems that you must see a doctor, before its too late, because wrist joint has too many small bones and ligaments which if gets injured may need immediate care.

Get xray of wrist in AP and Lateral view done and send me the report.

Till then apply ice, compression bandage and give rest the wrist.

Take painkiller like ibuprofen, serratiopeptidase by prescription of your local doctor.

Do not lift weight with that wrist.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D