What causes swollen lymph nodes?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: during seroconversion. is it normal to have swollen lymph nodes that go up and down?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Why you are thinking it is sero conversion.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to many reasons not only HIV so tell me in detail about the exposure and why are you thinking there is sero conversion.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 15 minutes later
I had an encounter with a woman who is a known intravenous drug abuser... the condom broke .. this was in may.. a couple days later I ran to the emergency room and was given pep for 28 days .. after the 28 days 2 days later I was tested which came back negative. . then.. about two weeks ago my lymph nodes in neck and chin area became swollen and remain swollen now. . and also pain in my elbow.. and I also tested positive at 1.90 for herpes .. I feel I may have gotten hiv
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

You had sexual encounter with women who was IV drug user and condom break but you had gone for PEP within 72 hours and the test result after month is also negative then nothing to worry about HIV as you are completely safe and risk free from HIV.

Swollen lymph nodes with pain may be due to any other viral or bacterial infection not HIV. Attach the report of Herpes if you have so that I can comment on it. Be relaxed, forget about the incidence and go on in life. For any further query feel free to ask me.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 17 minutes later
doesn't pep delay seroconversion?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it is not.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

PEP does not interfere with sero conversion so no need to worry about that. Be relaxed and move on in life happily leaving behind bad past. As a friend I will also advice you to stay away from such unsafe sexual practices to prevent future risk of HIV.

Thank You