What causes swollen lymph nodes while on Cephalexin for UTI?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Swollen somewhat lumpy lymphoid tissue at back of tongue. Sensation of carpet burn on my tongue at the back, seemingly due to being on cephalexin antibiotics. Should I cease taking? I've taken 4 tablets so far for a suspected UTI/kidney infection.

*I'm intolerant to azithromycin, but apparently cephalexin is not a macrolide like azithromycin.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a couple suggestions for you

Detailed Answer:
You need to contact the doctor that prescribed the medication to see if they want you to take a different antibiotic for the UTI.
It seems that you may be having a reaction to the cephalexin which is a cephalosporin class of antibiotics.
Whether or not you should stop it depends upon how severe your symptoms are. If you have any full body rash then you are probably allergic. Your doctors would need to know this and put it in your chart.
The swollen lymphoid tissue and tongue sensations may just be due to a loss of normal flora in your mouth. If it is not too severe you could continue on the medication and take some probiotics until you are finished.
The decision to stop it also depends upon how long it was prescribed for. If you had been prescribed the medicine for 7 days and have taken two days worth only then you need to discuss this with your doctor.
If it was prescribed for 3 days and you have taken two days, then it is probably fine to just stop.
In any case if you stop it and your symptoms return make sure to see your doctor again.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson