What causes swollen lymph nodes under the jaw, productive cough and chest congestion?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have swollen lymph nodes under my jaw on both sides. I’m coughing up phlegm that’s green/brown/red. I’m congested. Whenever I wake up from sleep, my lymph nodes hurt a lot and a cough drop helps reduce the pain. What’s wrong with me?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably a bacterial infection around that area, no worries

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern and i will try to help you.

As you explain the history the lymph nodes under the jaw symmetrically usually are sign of infection around that area such as: throat,tonsils,ears,nose or teeth too.

If you were my patient i would recommend you to do some blood tests like:

Hemogram
CRP
ESR
ASO

All the above are indicative of a present infection.

If they are positive means that there is an infection of the affected area which needs treatment with antibiotics.In such cases we recommend Amoxycilini orally twice.In my opinion the current treatment you are taking does not help in your situation

However it is your doctor who will decide about that because he will examine you closely.Please discuss with him for the above.

If you do the above tests you can attach them and i will try to help you again.

Regards and feel free to ask me again.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T