What causes swollen lymph nodes in left armpit after taking Cephalexin?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: I've been taking cephalexin for a kidney infection for nine days, 3x daily, with my last two doses tomorrow. since that time, I've noticed significant swelling of the lymph nodes in my left armpit. it is now somewhat painful and my arm feels funny, like its going to sleep, or the circulation is being cut off or something. what's happening to me?
Answered by Dr. Neel Kudchadkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Endure it for a day, take "Lasix" and get better.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

As far as health issues go, you've surfed your way to the right place. Thanks for choosing us and welcome. XXXXXXX I'm Dr. Neel Kudchadkar and i'll help you with the problems you are currently facing. The fact is that the kidneys excrete, "throw away", additional water in your blood stream and body, in the form of urine. Naturally, when a kidney gets infected, like your's have done, the ability to excrete water in limited and compromised. And when this happens your body retains this "fluid". Then, you get swellings in different parts of your body. You might ask, why my lymph nodes? That's a smart question. This is because your lymph nodes are the main drainage pipes of the waste fluid that your body produces and these drainage pipes called as lymphatics lead to your kidneys and they are excreted finally as urine. The back pressure causes them (the lymphatics) in the armpits to swell. It's very simple, XXXXXXX Kindly finish off the "meds" - cephalexin, i.e. and you can then take a course of "Lasix" - a famous medicine that will empty your entire body of excess fluids in the wake of the kidney function cess. You'll get better, though I warn you somewhat, that after taking Lasix, you might feel a bit "drained" - tired, fatigued for a short while. All is well. And, No, the problem of the swelling in the armpit is not caused by cephalexin, so please endure it for a while, till you get to take Lasix and get better once and for all.

Best wishes for your recovery,
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
healthcaremagic

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar