• question-icon

What causes swollen lymph node in the neck while suffering from cold?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Have a submandibulary swallen lymph node since my last bad Cold last year.i Have done some blood test wich were fine ,abdominal ultrasound good torax xray good And a neck ultrasound that showed 2 small lymphs 1.2cm/0.4 And 1.4cm/0.5 benign reactive inflamatory.should i ask for a biopsy ?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need for biopsy or further evaluation!

Detailed Answer:

A swollen lymph node in the head/neck region after a bad cold is not uncommon. This is because lymph nodes fight against infections by increasing in size. Some never return to their initial size. Because you have good information on what the exact cause of this swelling was and further testing has shown no abnormalities, there is no reason to get worried. This in no way suggests cancer. For now, put an eye on it only. Should it grow bigger, report to us for further evaluation and guidance. At this time, there is no need for more testing.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me as you please.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 minutes later
i was worried of having lymphoma but now i am a bit reliefed...is ultrasound specific for detecting lymphoma ?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO!

Detailed Answer:

We do not need ultrasound for this and it is not specific for detecting lymphoma. Lymphoma give gigantic lymph nodes and not small ones. Also, they will not wait on a bad cold to spring up. For sure, this is not lymphoma.

I wish you well and feel free to follow up as you please.
Dr. Ivo Ditah