What causes swollen lymph glands in the throat with swallowing difficulty?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Swollen glands, hard to swallow, painful when swallowing and drinking fluids. Feel like I have large lumps in throat.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nodes

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your bothersome symptoms.

This sounds like a typical throat infection associated with 'reactive lymph node' enlargement in addition to other usual symptoms.

However, sometimes an 'inflammation' of the thyroid gland can present with similar problems.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)
Free T4 (this too checks your thyroid) Thyroid autoantibodies : Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies and Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day Correct diagnosis and treatment requires the opportunity to examine the patient so you must see an endocrinologist in-person.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 minutes later
How long does it take for symptoms to decrease. Started with the ear and was on left side and now is on both sides. What else can I take to lessen pain.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
It can take a day or so for improvement to be felt. Exactly how much better you should expect to feel depends on the findings on physical examination. You should ask this to your healthcare provider who gave you the prescription. Also ask him or her what else you can take to lessen the pain, because you are already on standard treatment for sore throat. Whatever is additionally beneficial will depend on your response to the first line of treatment