What causes swollen lymph glands, headache and swallowing difficulty?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Patient has the following symptoms on the right side: swollen glands, tonsil inflammation, headache. She also has chills, difficulty swallowing and aching all over her body. Symptoms started after meal at restaurant, which included crab cakes, dry martini, and 1 beer. We stayed in the restaurant for 15 to 20 minutes without symptoms. She had mint tea with lemon; then the symptoms began. She has never had problems with any of the items consumed prior to this.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow below instructions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
According to these symptoms, patient might be having tonsillitis or upper respiratory tract infection.
It could be due to either bacterial or viral infection.
If its viral no need of any antibiotics, just follow the below instructions
1 Take rest
2. Drink plenty of fluids.
3 Prepare a saltwater gargle.
4 Offer lozenges.
5 Avoid irritants. Keep your home free from cigarette smoke and cleaning products that can irritate the throat.
6 Treat pain and fever.- By proscribing Tablet Paracetamol 500mg twice daily morning and night after food

Antibiotics
If tonsillitis is caused by a bacterial infection, need prescription for a course of antibiotics. Penicillin taken by mouth for 10 days is the most common antibiotic treatment prescribed for tonsillitis caused by group A streptococcus.
If patient is allergic to penicillin, your doctor will prescribe an alternative antibiotic.

If you have cold and cough with sputum you need to get a prescription of Tablet Azithromycin once daily for 3 days.

Dr Priyanka G XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj